Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Whirlwind of Life

Yesterday, I was listening to a lecture regarding Hamartiology, that is, the doctrine of sin. The fall of humanity is undoubtedly interesting and the effects of of the fall bombard us daily. The lecture and its suggestions were realized when the campus siren sounded, indicating a tornado warning.

I love storms. Severe weather, winter storms particularly, excite me beyond normal excitedness as I cross into border-line weather nerd. Nonetheless, I realized something even greater yesterday during the storm that interrupted my learning about hamartiology.

The whirlwind of life, so named because of the tornado that enticed this revelation, is a direct result of the fall. This whirlwind is instigated by time. Time consumes us. Actually, we consume time.

The whirlwind of life is unnecessary. There is nothing that clearly dictates we fill our schedules, consume our time, as if we were a tornado. Sometimes our schedules cause just as much destruction as tornadoes. We ruin relationships, dreams and jobs. It is hard to rebuild a mess made by our schedules because once our whirlwind of life begins, we do not slow down.

God calls us to be still and know that He is God; not to keep running and declare ourselves, our schedules, our lives as God.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. I am 67. I wish I'd had an understanding of this when I was in my 20s. I will have to add that "the church" was the main influence on filling my time with more, more, more. There was always MORE I was supposed to do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete