Friday, October 5, 2012

(Vulnerable) Social Media

No explanation is necessary regarding the definition and prevalence of, or dependability on social media.  Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, MySpace, Google + all have a place for use and may even be a mechanism for good.

My qualm is not with social media, although thorough discussion regarding reliance is valuable, but those who use it.  Actually, I am fearful of Christians who use social media.  Indeed, I fear myself even now.

For some reason, social media engenders a willingness to portray thoughts, ideas, emotions, sarcasm, and beliefs, whether well-established or not, that one is not necessarily willing to express through non-social media means.  In other words, transparency in 'real-life' and transparency through social media are not aligned.

As one who greatly values discipleship and community, this is deeply troubling.  I learn far too much about my friends, mostly acquaintances if I am honest, through social media: the annoying details of what they ate for dinner, where they are on vacation, and what they do every hour of the day.  For some reason we like to share that information.  This information does not concern me as much as the fact that I learn political affiliations, theological convictions and beliefs, dreams, emotions, painful realities, heartbreak and joy via a tweet, status update, picture update.  I learn these pieces of information on a computer screen.

I rarely so willingly and vulnerably hear these statements in 'real-life.'

This came to my attention on Wednesday night during the television presidential candidate debate.  In the hours that followed the event, it was difficult to discern between status updates of disciples and those who are not a part of the Body

Many people within the Body use social media as a means of expressing opinions, particularly political, via social media.  However, is it possible to have honest, loving, dialoging conversations through social media as you embody Christ?  If the words we choose to type are not the same words we are willing to speak, we fail those we live with and those we minister to every day.

If social media is the means through which we convey what we are not willing to share in community, then we should fear the repercussions of status updates that may deter those from knowing the Risen Lord, for indeed if such conversations are not within the Body, how much less they are among those who seek. 

Perhaps Christian use of social media would make more sense if such conversations were prevalently conveyed authentically, vulnerably, intentionally, and lovingly in 'real-life.'  I am not willing to permanently make a statement via social media that I am not willing to address with my Family of disciples who are the hands and feet of the holy, just, loving Lord.  By God's grace, I have thus far adhered to this conviction.

Vulnerable community can extend through the use of social media, but surely when we are gathered together, living together, sharing life together, the sharing of our ideas finds greater meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment