Saturday, February 23, 2013

Africa to Asia: Cultivating Community

January 5, 2013, 8:45p.m., Macau: As I am now only two full days into this journey, I realize my inherent need for discipleship community; a community of people committed to transparency and a willingness to succumb to the Lord's changing, molding grace rooted in love.

During the trip to Asia, I was among a group of fairly unacquainted individuals.  It is no secret that I value relationships of depth with intentional investment, and so a three-week journey at surface level would not make for a personally positive relational experience.  Although unintentional, at the onset of the trip I was able to assess potential opportunities for encouraging community investment.  On the fifth day while waiting an hour for a bus, I became engaged in an extremely meaningful conversation with one team member.  Learning his story leading up to and at Taylor, what he valued, cared for, and desired led me to respect this young man and be grateful for the origination of meaningful friendship.

Conversations at meals were frequently developmental to the making of a new community.  Sharing ideas and stories, asking tough questions, and displaying emotions cultivated a body of individuals previously unbeknownst.  Opportunities arose throughout the trip to engage in conversations with several team members.  Each uniquely meaningful as authenticity, vulnerability, honesty, sincerity, grace and love were personified.

The experience of being a part of a new community was not only refreshing but inspiring.  I am encouraged by the team members I traveled with for demonstrating many blessings, seeing many skills and gifts, and taking an invested interest in how stories are unfolding in the Kingdom.

Perhaps this experience most taught me that my own failings do not preclude the cultivation of community.  One student shared with me that he appreciates that I deeply interact with situations and communicate "profound" thoughts.  I admit the words he spoke sounded nice, but surely if my wretched soul should be so fully exposed, would not all respect be dismissed?  I do hope I continue to express freely that where there is any good in my being it is not I but the Lord for I am nothing good of my own accord. 

This lesson transforms my understanding of the establishment of community:  relationships rooted in honesty to the self and others expose shared brokenness and celebrate the presence of Christ's redemptive work.

No comments:

Post a Comment