Monday, June 18, 2012

A Reckless Love: Seven Months

Editor's Note: This is the sixth of a reflective series entitled "A Reckless Love."


Josh quickly became an intentional, meaningful, challenging, and caring friend.  We only really knew each other for seven months.  A miniscule amount of time in eternity.


From day one of those seven months though, we both were intentional to share life together.  One night this winter before going to bed, I left a note on Josh's desk.  I remember searching for a scrap piece of paper to leave a few words of encouragement.  


He may have intentionally sought meaningful relationships, but he rarely purposefully organized his desk.  Sometimes the means do not matter.  I found a receipt; it was sufficient.


I do not recall my exact words, but the message written on the back of a nasty Taco Bell receipt was along the lines: "what you did today matters - and He is proud of you - and I am so honored to be a part of what He is doing in your life - praying for you tonight."


Seven months.  Certainly a short time.  But a time that matters.


It reminds me of Jesus' incarnated time of ministry.  Sometimes I think I imagine Jesus came out of the womb and began preaching.  Historically, of course, we know that not to be true.  His time of ministry was maybe a few years.  A relatively short time in eternity.


Jesus commanded us to love as He loved us.  An indisputably intentional, eternally existing love.  Whether I knew Josh Larkin for seven months, seven years, or seven decades, he changed my life because he recognized that love requires intentionality.


Since April 4, I have been more intentional with the men of Sammy II and those I love.  If it was not for those seven months with Josh, I do not know if I could thoughtfully love others amidst his death and that of two additional students within the past seven months.


Seven months may be miniscule in the scheme of eternity, but it is all the time the Lord needed to impress a profound example of reckless love in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment